By partnering with Daniels, your environmental impact will be significantly reduced each year.
As a business founded on the key tenant of driving environmental stewardship in healthcare, Daniels Health embraces the Global Sustainability challenge, and has made genuine changes in the way we do business. Our goal is to reduce the environmental impact of medical waste, without compromising the service we offer to our customers.
Across the globe, healthcare service providers are feeling the increased importance of protecting planetary health to ensure a safe future for public health in the communities we serve. Daniels is committed to leading the industry in innovation and practices that minimize ecological impact. Our strategies to achieve this are:
- Create clinically-designed reusable containment systems and clinical-flow processes that achieve maximum environmental sustainability across their full life cycle.
- Minimize environmental burden by evaluating operations and ensuring they function as efficiently as possible.
- Minimize toxic emissions through the selection and use of our fleet and the source of its power requirement.
- Drive integrated waste segregation and reduction programs in hospitals to ensure the most sustainable packaging and treatment options are adopted for the waste type
- Actively promote recycling both internally and with our customers and suppliers.
Meet or exceed all environmental legislation at local and national levels as it pertains to transport, treatment and waste reduction initiatives
One of Daniels’ principle founding values is to achieve the highest level of ecology possible through innovation, product, and process. In our medical waste management practices, we utilize the most sustainable methodology of environmental effectiveness – reusability. By reusing sharps and medical waste containers instead of throwing them out, a significant reduction to overall waste volumes can be made.
Globally, Daniels’ Sharpsmart system achieves significant reduction in the CO2 burden of healthcare facilities we partner with. Annually the system diverts millions of pounds of plastic and cardboard from landfill, and, with its 50 year life cycle, the Daniels Sharpsmart sharps container single-handedly eliminates the manufacturing of hundreds of thousands of disposable products. A complete life cycle assessment of reusable and disposable sharps containers reveals that the overall ‘carbon footprint’ of a Sharpsmart reusable container can be up to 76% less than that of disposable containers.
“The 84% reduction of CO2eq emissions with the Daniels Sharpsmart system exceeds the 2020 reduction target for US federal hospitals and the 2050 target for UK NHS hospitals. If Daniels Sharpsmart reusable sharps containers were used nationally in the US, we estimate annual US hospital GWP would fall by 64,000 MTCO2eq.”
T Grimmond, S Reiner
Daniels Environmental Impact in the USA
Since 2003, Daniels reusable sharps containers have resulted in...